How to get more players playing

This forum is for any general discussions related to Magestorm.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Rename Cathedral of Light to Cathedral of Blight

Yes
No votes
Great idea
38%
Maybe
No votes
No
63%

Total votes: 8

Barren

How to get more players playing

Postby Barren » 9:27 pm, Tue Jan 31, 2017

We need to get more players. I propose renaming Cathedral of Light to Cathedral of Blight, in honor of me.

Law

Re: How to get more players playing

Postby Law » 9:39 pm, Tue Jan 31, 2017

I think the game needs a little more order, so we can get more balance, so it will thrive in chaos.

RiP

Postby RiP » 3:48 pm, Thu Feb 02, 2017

I think the original MSM version would bring people back. Changes made to it seemed to be the reason most people quit if I remember correctly.

Kuraokami
Regular

Postby Kuraokami » 7:28 pm, Thu Feb 02, 2017

No, but reducing hit boxes probably wasn't the best idea, simply because most people don't have the connection to allow it to be fun with such small hitboxes.

Slick

Postby Slick » 8:53 pm, Thu Feb 02, 2017

cathedral revival is the best addition to date. the main reason people stopped playing around 2 years ago, directly and in-directly, was because of all the cleric changes. and it appears some want to follow the same path *facepalm*

the following quote pretty much sums it up:
Dain wrote:How many years did we have a consistent community of players with the "old" code? With all due respect and appreciation to the developers to bringing this back, when and why did the last healthy community we had disappear? I seem to recall due to all of this nonsense.

Law

Postby Law » 9:35 pm, Thu Feb 02, 2017

Slick wrote:cathedral revival is the best addition to date. the main reason people stopped playing around 2 years ago, directly and in-directly, was because of all the cleric changes. and it appears some want to follow the same path *facepalm*
What you fail to add into your calculations, Slick, is many people *aren't* playing because Clerics are so imbalanced. Sure, Dain may have quit 3 years ago when "Kura clerics" were introduced, but how many people went silently because they didn't feel this game was worth getting good at?

Competitive games are repetitive. Competitive people play to win, and to improve. How does having a competitive, repetitive game that also doesn't reward skill going to have any kind of longevity?

What's the point of becoming a godly Arc when a mind Ment will still beat you if it gets the jump on you? What's the point of being a great Mage if you can't stop a Cleric from killing your shrine? Competitive people play to WIN, and if all they do is lose and have no means to win, they find their fix elsewhere.
Last edited by Law on 10:00 pm, Thu Feb 02, 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Shadle01

Postby Shadle01 » 9:59 pm, Thu Feb 02, 2017

yet your mia

Kuraokami
Regular

Postby Kuraokami » 10:09 pm, Thu Feb 02, 2017

Yeah, Slick, that's not even remotely true

Slick

Postby Slick » 10:41 pm, Thu Feb 02, 2017

Kuraokami wrote:Yeah, Slick, that's not even remotely true
which part? directly or indirectly? lol

@law:

you seem to think this game is all about the solo player... a ment gets the jump on you as an arc... sure, you will likely die - fact. a cleric shrining, wow - its their innate ability - another fact. fact is, a cleric shouldnt die solo - period. and this is where we "agree to disagree".

nerf clerics or leave them alone - it's fair to say the outcome will be the same. some will leave because they are too powerful and others because they are not what nostalgia brings to mind.

Kuraokami
Regular

Postby Kuraokami » 10:49 pm, Thu Feb 02, 2017

Both parts. People got bored, because it's not that interesting of a game. People got rage, because they didn't win. People got frustrated, because of latency. That's it.

Deathrogue

Postby Deathrogue » 8:02 am, Fri Feb 03, 2017

Kura just stop. Your opinions are horrific. Stop trolling the damn forums, play the game if you want your input to be credible. It's not that interesting of a game?? Where do you get your drugs?

Law

Postby Law » 4:30 pm, Fri Feb 03, 2017

Slick wrote: @law:

you seem to think this game is all about the solo player... a ment gets the jump on you as an arc... sure, you will likely die - fact. a cleric shrining, wow - its their innate ability - another fact. fact is, a cleric shouldnt die solo - period. and this is where we "agree to disagree".

nerf clerics or leave them alone - it's fair to say the outcome will be the same. some will leave because they are too powerful and others because they are not what nostalgia brings to mind.
My point is that the game doesn't reward skill, and that's why people quit. It doesn't have a healthy competitive atmosphere because there are so many situations in the game where one person needs to be a god just to beat an average player, so people quit.

So many great players I have seen rage quit over stupid things. Para, Mind, Void, Clerics. When Magestorm died last I would log on to play after work, see a game of 6 level 30 Clerics, what am I honestly gonna do? I'm not chasing these guys around to never get a kill.

Shadle01

Postby Shadle01 » 4:51 pm, Fri Feb 03, 2017

you have a point clerics need to be adjusted. why not go with heal transfer like in spell binder did versus heal other?

Law

Postby Law » 5:15 pm, Fri Feb 03, 2017

Shadle01 wrote:you have a point clerics need to be adjusted. why not go with heal transfer like in spell binder did versus heal other?
I think what'd fix Clerics legit is remove Prayer completely, remove all self-healing, and replace Prayer with a self-buff that is a buff to health regeneration. (1/2/3/4/5 HP/tick for 30 seconds).

Even without Prayer and self heals Clerics are tankier than Mages with HA and TR5, and I can make an impact on a Mage. I made a Cleric named no_prayer and I'm not researching Prayer nor am I using any self-heals and I'm doing just fine.

Kuraokami
Regular

Postby Kuraokami » 6:27 pm, Fri Feb 03, 2017

Deathrogue, keep your insults to yourself. It's not that interesting of a game. You seem to be mistaking your personal opinion for opinions at large.

Return to “General”