New Cathedral & Valhalla

This forum is for suggestions and polls for Magestorm.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

RiP

New Cathedral & Valhalla

Postby RiP » 4:52 pm, Thu Jan 26, 2017

My honest opinion of the new Cathedral is that it kinda sucks. I keep coming outta valhalla in the new areas & im running around lost for like 2 mins. When I go in valhalla I seem to always be running into the invisible wall that seperates the 3 new valhalla areas. So I have to back up & spin around, etc. This is just my perspective of the game being an old school player from aol/gs/mythic. Not trying to bash the hard work Sorien has put into the game, but people love a classic. I'm still trying to figure out how the old school way to play this game was, can't remember if it was just with keyboard or mouse & keyboard. Everyone seems to have this amazing projectile aim even when i'm jumping around & zig zagging. Was the radius of lower level projectiles increased? Seems like bolts are obsolete in the lower levels & I remember they used to be very good, or I just suck & probably the reason I always liked mind ments :lol: Sorry for sounding like a whiny bitch but I just wanna give my opinion.

Cigs

Re: New Cathedral & Valhalla

Postby Cigs » 5:40 pm, Thu Jan 26, 2017

The new Cath is great , you just have to get used to it.

Sorien
Developer

Postby Sorien » 6:03 pm, Thu Jan 26, 2017

RiP wrote:My honest opinion of the new Cathedral is that it kinda sucks. I keep coming outta valhalla in the new areas & im running around lost for like 2 mins. When I go in valhalla I seem to always be running into the invisible wall that seperates the 3 new valhalla areas. So I have to back up & spin around, etc. This is just my perspective of the game being an old school player from aol/gs/mythic. Not trying to bash the hard work Sorien has put into the game, but people love a classic. I'm still trying to figure out how the old school way to play this game was, can't remember if it was just with keyboard or mouse & keyboard. Everyone seems to have this amazing projectile aim even when i'm jumping around & zig zagging. Was the radius of lower level projectiles increased? Seems like bolts are obsolete in the lower levels & I remember they used to be very good, or I just suck & probably the reason I always liked mind ments :lol: Sorry for sounding like a whiny bitch but I just wanna give my opinion.
All of the new/changed maps were made by Kross (hasn't been around for a while). Trust me, the new Cath is immensely better than the old one, it's just that your nostalgia is kicking in. If you were to play a match or two in the old one you would get tired of it quickly.

The reason people can hit you with projectiles better is because I smoothed out player movement by a lot. The original MS's movement was pretty jumpy/inaccurate.. people don't seem to remember that =x. I've also added vertical mouse aiming, which helps a lot.

Bolts are still extremely strong, especially at lower levels.

Here's a video of the old movement: https://youtu.be/pWbXSK-cLwI?t=235
and here's one of the movement after my changes: https://youtu.be/SvaTtByYMKg?t=210

Bullet

Postby Bullet » 12:28 pm, Fri Jan 27, 2017

I share RiP's views on the new cath and have played many matches in it. I vastly prefer the old version. It may be because of nostalgia, but who cares? I'm literally only still playing this game because of nostalgia. What's wrong with that?

Can we not have both the old and new version of cath? Just get rid of Splat Park or something...

RiP

Postby RiP » 1:49 pm, Fri Jan 27, 2017

Ya the smaller stages were the most popular for a reason, less running around & more fighting. Every single time I come outta valhalla im in the new areas running around like "where the fuck am i!?" Also the new elevator's really fuck over ments. You basically nerfed the shit outta ments.

Dain

Postby Dain » 4:06 pm, Fri Jan 27, 2017

Agreed would be nice if we could at least have the option of Classic Cathedral

Barren

Postby Barren » 11:19 pm, Sat Jan 28, 2017

New cathedral is a lot better than the old one. The changes to the order shrine by itself is worth it. Once you get used to it you'll like it.

Edit: Plus, it's not new. It's been around for years :D

Shadle01

Postby Shadle01 » 9:30 am, Sun Jan 29, 2017

new cath is great, i wish the backway from red to blue you didnt have to kneel down to get through.

Deathrogue

Postby Deathrogue » 8:58 am, Mon Jan 30, 2017

Aquem you love kneeling!

I have no complaints for new Cath, I love it. Maybe if people get mad at the elevator situation, scale back to 1 instead of having on both sides.. Thoughts??

Shadle01

Postby Shadle01 » 4:46 am, Tue Jan 31, 2017

if steven could master navigating thunder keep, i think you'll just be fine RiP!

Nowind

Postby Nowind » 12:23 am, Fri Feb 03, 2017

Cath is already too big with this player base, and with all the new routes it's even worse.

+1 for old cath.

Kuraokami
Regular

Postby Kuraokami » 12:33 am, Fri Feb 03, 2017

Not voting, but I did like old cath better due to player count and due to new cath trivializing the vertical plane.

Shadle01

Postby Shadle01 » 8:42 am, Sat Feb 04, 2017

new cath is great...it makes magestorm great again

Kross

Postby Kross » 1:25 am, Fri Feb 10, 2017

Map was created using suggestions from people that play and want to help the community to make game play better. Any other suggestions would also be considered, but for now people from the old server enjoyed it. :) nice to be back, miss ya guys.

Sorien
Developer

Postby Sorien » 12:21 am, Fri Feb 24, 2017

Kross wrote:Map was created using suggestions from people that play and want to help the community to make game play better. Any other suggestions would also be considered, but for now people from the old server enjoyed it. :) nice to be back, miss ya guys.
The new cath is massively better than the original. Most people who want the original back just want it for the nostalgia, and that's fine.

I'm gonna see if I can up the grid limit sometime.

Return to “Suggestions & Polls”