ESOs Hook64 doesnt start

This forum is for any technical support related to Hook64.
All support threads are closely monitored.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

L3schi

ESOs Hook64 doesnt start

Postby L3schi » 6:52 pm, Sun Jun 30, 2019

Hello everyone,
I am using your hook64 for ESO since about a year now. Never had any problems whatsoever, loved the improvements the mod gives us. Thanks alot for that!!!
Unfortunately, since about a week now I cant open the game with hook64. Today I saw there was an update, I ofc installed it by replacing the existing files in my steamfiles. But it doesnt start. So, I replaced the files, made a new shortcut to my desktop, open hook64, click ESO and "select", but nothing happens. I see the icon in the tray, down right, at the pc clock, like normal, and in my taskmanager ESO says "stopped" or "paused", I have it in german so it says "Angehalten". I have never seen this, usually the game just opened.

Am I the only one with this problem? I cant figure out what I maybe have done wrong, I just installed the update like the several times before and opened the hook64 as an admin.
Pweease help
Greets

Sorien
Developer

Re: ESOs Hook64 doesnt start

Postby Sorien » 8:28 pm, Sun Jun 30, 2019

L3schi wrote:
6:52 pm, Sun Jun 30, 2019
Hello everyone,
I am using your hook64 for ESO since about a year now. Never had any problems whatsoever, loved the improvements the mod gives us. Thanks alot for that!!!
Unfortunately, since about a week now I cant open the game with hook64. Today I saw there was an update, I ofc installed it by replacing the existing files in my steamfiles. But it doesnt start. So, I replaced the files, made a new shortcut to my desktop, open hook64, click ESO and "select", but nothing happens. I see the icon in the tray, down right, at the pc clock, like normal, and in my taskmanager ESO says "stopped" or "paused", I have it in german so it says "Angehalten". I have never seen this, usually the game just opened.

Am I the only one with this problem? I cant figure out what I maybe have done wrong, I just installed the update like the several times before and opened the hook64 as an admin.
Pweease help
Greets
Have you tried rebooting? Not sure why but some people have an issue where they need to reboot for it to inject properly (rare).
Has anything changed since it stopped working? Have you installed any antiviruses, overlays, etc... anything that can interfere with it?

Also, did you install the new redistributables listed in the patch notes?

Treyu86

Postby Treyu86 » 7:35 am, Mon Jul 01, 2019

Sorien wrote:
8:28 pm, Sun Jun 30, 2019
L3schi wrote:
Hello everyone,

Pweease help
Greets
Have you tried rebooting? Not sure why but some people have an issue where they need to reboot for it to inject properly (rare).
Has anything changed since it stopped working? Have you installed any antiviruses, overlays, etc... anything that can interfere with it?

Also, did you install the new redistributables listed in the patch notes?

It happens just the exact same thing to me. Everything was fine before. Got all things needed installed. But since last update, it does not work. The hook64 icon stays at the tray, but game won't start. So something may have changed, but it does not work now

thanks for all!

L3schi

Postby L3schi » 9:24 am, Mon Jul 01, 2019

Hello Sorien: Thank you for your reply.
Yea I have rebooted my PC alot of times since it didnt work. Probably around 5-7 times. I played ESO without the hook64 then.
I am only using the windows defender as an antivirus, and I havent changed anything there since I own this PC. I checked firewall settings, updates etc. but I couldnt find anything which stands out or is suspicious.
NET Framework I dont need to download, it says I already own a newer version of that. The other 2, the C++ redist. I already installed loong time ago. But I downloaded+installed them again yesterday, it doesnt affect anything.
I wanna mention again that after clicking Selct at hook64 I see ESO as "Stopped" or "Paused" in my taskmanager, this is new, I havent seen that before.
edit: I probably will try to download the game freshly, if it still doesn work after the next hook64 patch/update. Maybe my files are corrupted in some way, I mean, the ESO.exe wants to start, but apparently the hook64 is preventing it.

Sorien
Developer

Postby Sorien » 9:54 am, Mon Jul 01, 2019

L3schi wrote:
9:24 am, Mon Jul 01, 2019
Hello Sorien: Thank you for your reply.
Yea I have rebooted my PC alot of times since it didnt work. Probably around 5-7 times. I played ESO without the hook64 then.
I am only using the windows defender as an antivirus, and I havent changed anything there since I own this PC. I checked firewall settings, updates etc. but I couldnt find anything which stands out or is suspicious.
NET Framework I dont need to download, it says I already own a newer version of that. The other 2, the C++ redist. I already installed loong time ago. But I downloaded+installed them again yesterday, it doesnt affect anything.
I wanna mention again that after clicking Selct at hook64 I see ESO as "Stopped" or "Paused" in my taskmanager, this is new, I havent seen that before.
edit: I probably will try to download the game freshly, if it still doesn work after the next hook64 patch/update. Maybe my files are corrupted in some way, I mean, the ESO.exe wants to start, but apparently the hook64 is preventing it.
The paused/suspended thing you're seeing is normal.. staying suspended however, is not. Are you using the Steam version or the normal version?

L3schi

Postby L3schi » 10:24 am, Mon Jul 01, 2019

Yes thats weird. I am using steam.

Sorien
Developer

Postby Sorien » 11:07 am, Mon Jul 01, 2019

L3schi wrote:
10:24 am, Mon Jul 01, 2019
Would you mind letting me remote control your computer using AnyDesk to see what's going on?

L3schi

Postby L3schi » 12:48 pm, Mon Jul 01, 2019

Sorien wrote:
L3schi wrote:
10:24 am, Mon Jul 01, 2019
Would you mind letting me remote control your computer using AnyDesk to see what's going on?
Yes we can do that, how and when?

Sorien
Developer

Postby Sorien » 1:08 pm, Mon Jul 01, 2019

L3schi wrote:
12:48 pm, Mon Jul 01, 2019
Yes we can do that, how and when?
Download AnyDesk (https://www.anydesk.com/en) and PM me your AnyDesk ID shown in the main menu. I have a doctor appointment in 45 minutes so if I don't respond then it means I left and I'll be back at around 4PM CST.

Sorien
Developer

Postby Sorien » 1:32 pm, Mon Jul 01, 2019

Treyu86 wrote:
7:35 am, Mon Jul 01, 2019
It happens just the exact same thing to me. Everything was fine before. Got all things needed installed. But since last update, it does not work. The hook64 icon stays at the tray, but game won't start. So something may have changed, but it does not work now

thanks for all!
Alright so after debugging it with L3schi we found out Windows Defender is quarantining Loader.h64 because of a false positive. Check and see if that's what's going on with you and add an exception if needed. I'm gonna submit the exe to Microsoft to fix that.

Edit: Microsoft has fixed the Loader.h64 false positive. Do the following steps to update your Windows Defender definitions:
1. Open command prompt as administrator and change directory to c:\Program Files\Windows Defender
2. Run “MpCmdRun.exe -removedefinitions -dynamicsignatures”
3. Run "MpCmdRun.exe -SignatureUpdate"

Treyu86

Postby Treyu86 » 4:09 pm, Thu Jul 04, 2019

Sorien wrote:
1:32 pm, Mon Jul 01, 2019
Treyu86 wrote:

thanks for all!
Alright so after debugging it with L3schi we found out Windows Defender is quarantining Loader.h64 because of a false positive. Check and see if that's what's going on with you and add an exception if needed. I'm gonna submit the exe to Microsoft to fix that.

Edit: Microsoft has fixed the Loader.h64 false positive. Do the following steps to update your Windows Defender definitions:
1. Open command prompt as administrator and change directory to c:\Program Files\Windows Defender
Hello!

I did just that, but it stills stays the same. When i did the third point, it said "no updates needed". So I don't know if that worked.
ESO stays suspended, so I can't use Hook64. This did not happen before. What could I do? thanks

Sorien
Developer

Postby Sorien » 4:10 pm, Thu Jul 04, 2019

Treyu86 wrote:
4:09 pm, Thu Jul 04, 2019
Sorien wrote:
Treyu86 wrote:

thanks for all!

Hello!

I did just that, but it stills stays the same. When i did the third point, it said "no updates needed". So I don't know if that worked.
ESO stays suspended, so I can't use Hook64. This did not happen before. What could I do? thanks
Did you re-extract Loader.h64 into the folder? Windows Defender more than likely deleted it.

Treyu86

Postby Treyu86 » 5:05 pm, Thu Jul 04, 2019

Sorien wrote:
4:10 pm, Thu Jul 04, 2019
Treyu86 wrote:
4:09 pm, Thu Jul 04, 2019
Sorien wrote:
Treyu86 wrote:

thanks for all!

Hello!

Did you re-extract Loader.h64 into the folder? Windows Defender more than likely deleted it.
Oh, that was the issue. Thanks a lot for the help!

Adrinator

Postby Adrinator » 4:56 am, Sat Oct 12, 2019

L3schi wrote:
Hello everyone,

Pweease help
Greets
I get a error message when I try to start ESO via Hook64: "Couldn't resolve hostname"

Sorien
Developer

Postby Sorien » 7:34 am, Sat Oct 12, 2019

Adrinator wrote:
4:56 am, Sat Oct 12, 2019
L3schi wrote:
Hello everyone,

Pweease help
Greets
I get a error message when I try to start ESO via Hook64: "Couldn't resolve hostname"
Edit: It's working for me. Can you please take a screenshot of the error?

Return to “Technical Support”